The second woman I’ve ever loved

By: Uncle Dave

A wise man once told me that if I am going to give a speech, regardless of the context, I need to tell a story.

When I leaned that my grandmother’s health was declining, I began to reflect on all of my memories of her.  These memories spanned from when I was a child to my young adult life.  My goal was to pick the perfect nana story.  Who was she as a person and what did she mean to our family.  After days of reflection, I came to the conclusion that I do not have a story to share with you here today.

You see, my relationship with my grandmother was unique for a variety of reasons.  From my earliest memories, nana was my safety blanket that shielded me from life’s unfavorable actions.  Growing up, there were many times that I felt extremely uncertain about myself and the situations that were evolving around me.  Nana was there, every single time, to extend her hand, sit me down, dust me off and tell me life goes on.  Nana was my outlet.  I complained to her many times that life just isn’t fair.  She always expressed to me that one day, if I work hard enough and keep one foot in front of the other, I will have the platform, the opportunity to change my life.

While I don’t have a story about how Eva made me go clean the rain gutters while it was raining outside or her requiring me to mow the lawn at least 3 times a week, I can tell you with the utmost of certainty that without Eva May Fegley, the person that stands before you today does not exist.  Maybe that is the best story of all.

Thank you Eva.  Thank you nana.  Thank you toot, for everything you have done not only for me but also for our family.  My children will never meet you, but they will know exactly who you are through my love and my affection.  The very same love and affection that you gave to me.

Thank you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one feels sorry for you

The Untold Story

Attack mode