No one feels sorry for you

By: Uncle Bernie

One particular wrestling season in high school I was having trouble making weight and finishing close matches. On a crispy winter Sunday morning (my only day off) my father told me,“Get your running shoes on…we’re going for a workout.” And that’s not something you say no to our dad about. He drove us to a nearby mountain that is so dang steep that it’s tricky to even get to the top in a motor vehicle. And this is a paved road. If it’s snowing, forget it. I saw where this was going
“Get out. See you at the top,” he said.
I was kind of chuckling to myself as I closed the door, blowing into my cold hands. The idea of running up the mountain -without stopping- was actually kind of hysterical.
Little did I know, my dad had been practicing and successfully doing it for months. So, it was far from impossible. And he was the only one that knew.
2,000 feet to the top. I shrugged my shoulders, hit a couple quick squats, and began. I started out with a light jog because it immediately hit me with a 15% inclineThen it got steeper. So, I picked it up and started running. It got even steeper. I responded with a “how about we just get this suffering over with ASAP” paceThen it got so steep that I could reach out and touch the road in front of me. But I finally saw the top and finished with aall-out sprint. To be honestI crushed it. My dad’s there at the top grinning in his truck.
“Nice. Get in!” he said as he rolled his window back up. 
I was exhilarated as we drove back down. Hyperventilating not with exhaustion, but the feeling I just did the impossible. I couldn’t stop chattingI was finally warm, I was relieved, and I was thumping my chest. I was proud, and too proud…
“Get out. Do it again.”
WHAT!!!!
Plummeting out of my euphorialooked around and noticed we were at the bottom of the mountain right where we started this party. This man really wanted me to do that sh*t again. Alright…dang. A deep sigh, another shoulder shrug, and a “Ah hell, let’s see what we can do.
To be honest I struggled a lot more internally on the second round. But I made it just as fast as the first time. The trade off was: I struggled to stand, breathe, or even exist as a human at that point. I had just done the impossible twice. 
“Helluva job. Very proud of you,” Dad said from his comfortable truck.
I was supine on the ground and listening to my new heart arrhythmia. But I was beaming ear to ear at his words and I gave him at thumbs up towards sky. 
Ok. Good. See you at home!” Window went up. Truck drove off.
WHAT!!!!
You see, I used to feel sorry for myself. A lot. Everything was unfair and life was out to get me. Every time I had the chance to make an excuse, I did.
At that very moment when my father provided me with an actual mountain of tough love, I had a choice. And to be honest, I was too tired to feel bad for myself. The cycle was finally broken. And if you know what runners know, going downhill destroys the muscles even more than uphill. I got off the ground and ran the few miles home. It didn’t happen overnight, but a new mindset was instilled that day. My father drove me to a metaphorical and literal crossroads of life. With minimal wordshe served me an important life lesson. And to be fair, I needed it. 
The point is- for the most part, nobody feels bad for you. So why should you? Find your mountain and run over it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attack mode

The Untold Story